I’m sure I’m not the only one with this dream but I have always wanted to visit New York! I don’t really remember when this interest started but it’s been something that I’ve wanted for a long time now. Even when I found out that some of my favourite “New York” shows aren’t actually filmed in New York. So I’ve made a list of all of the places I’d like to visit in New York.
- New York Supreme Court – the main reason for this is my obsession with the Law & Order franchise! It’s a place where so many iconic scenes have been filmed and ground-breaking cases have been reported on, and as a huge law buff it would be so exciting for me to see it in real life. My obsession for the NY Supreme Court is pretty strong, evidenced by the fact that my brother and two of my friends have visited New York recently, and all of them sent me pictures of the Supreme Court!
- Central Park – I would love to see it in the autumn or winter, especially when it’s Christmassy! I’d love to do the whole tourist thing and go on a horse and carriage ride.
- Times Square – although it’s basically a larger, louder Piccadilly Circus crossed with Leicester Square, it still seems like a fun filled, energetic place for all tourists to visit.
- Grand Central Terminal – I loved Gossip Girl. I’d also want to go to all of the other places where it was filmed, like the steps of the Met! Also quite a few episodes of Law & Order SVU were filmed here (and I can recall all of them tbh).
- Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island – I don’t really need to explain this, they are both classic New York landmarks. In case you haven’t noticed yet, I would be the most touristy tourist ever!
- Empire State Building – this would be an amazing way to see the city from above. Another way would be a helicopter ride! However, people have said that it’s better to go to the Top of the Rock, as they have pristine windows and not the wire mesh panels. Also, the best pictures of the New York skyline have the Empire State Building in them!
- 9/11 Memorial – from friends that have visited Ground Zero and the museum, I’ve heard that it was a surreal but amazing experience. I don’t remember the attacks, but I know how much of an impact that they have had.
- Strawberry Fields – another memorial I’d like to visit is the John Lennon memorial in Central Park. This is actually strangely important to me, after my year four or five class had to write a biography about him. I still remember key dates and facts from his life, and it seems fitting to visit Strawberry Fields.
- Rockefeller Center – it took me everything I had to put this on my list as it meant I’d have to spell ‘centre’ the American way (which is utterly heart-breaking for a grammar nerd like me). But of course I’d have to visit there, as it’s a hugely important place for US comedy, and so many of my favourite American comedians started off on Saturday Night Live. And at Christmas, it would be so gorgeous especially with the extravagant decorations and ice rink!
- Katz’s Delicatessen – this is where that scene from When Harry Met Sally was filmed (and recreated by Jamie Redknapp)! No further explanation needed…
- Bloomingdale’s – it seems like a staple for shopping in New York and, of course, the former workplace of Rachel Green! Basically, I’d like to go everywhere for shopping.
- Yankee Stadium – when in New York, I’d definitely want to watch some kind of sports match, so why not watch the Yankees play?! I’m not really that into any of the big US sports though, so I’d be just as happy going to a Knicks or Rangers game!
- Niagara Falls – okay so technically this may be cheating a little bit as it’s not in New York City but it’s still in New York State, no matter how far it is! So I’m counting it.
I know that I’m probably not going to be able to go to New York yet… but I can dream! Have you ever been to New York? What was the best place you visited? Is there anything else that I should add to the list?